|Jardine's Parrot, (Poicephalus gulielmi)|
The African parrots of the subfamily Psittacinae consists of Afrotropical parrots; the eight species are found in two genera. Traditionally, the Vasa parrots are also included in this tribe, but that inclusion is not supported by molecular studies. Several of these species have subspecies, including the African Grey Parrot, which has two subspecies. Some are commonly referred to as "Old World parrots". This subgenus together with its sister subfamily, the Arinae, is part of the family Psittacidae.
- Psittacus erithacus, African Grey Parrot
- Psittacus erithacus erithacus, Congo African Grey Parrot (subspecies)
- Psittacus erithacus timneh, Timneh African Grey Parrot (subspecies)
- Poicephalus robustus, Cape Parrot
- Poicephalus robustus robustus (nominate subspecies)
- Poicephalus robustus fuscicollis, Brown-necked Parrot (subspecies)
- Poicephalus robustus suahelicus, Gray-headed Parrot (subspecies)
- Poicephalus gulielmi, Jardine's Parrot also known as the Red-fronted Parrot
- Poicephalus meyeri, Meyer's Parrot
- Poicephalus rueppellii, Rüppell's Parrot
- Poicephalus cryptoxanthus, Brown-headed Parrot
- Poicephalus rufiventris, Red-bellied Parrot
- Poicephalus senegalus, Senegal Parrot
- Poicephalus flavifrons, Yellow-fronted Parrot
- Poicephalus crassus, Niam-niam Parrot
Traditionally, the vasa parrots are included in this tribe, but recent molecular studies show that they are within a different family.
|This article is part of Project Bird Subfamilies, a All Birds project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each bird subfamily, including made-up families.|
|This article is part of Project Taxonomy, a All Birds project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each taxonomic term.|
| This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors). |
Please help by writing it in the style of All Birds Wiki!
|30px||This article relating to parrots is a stub. You can help All Birds by expanding it.|