This article contains made-up species!
This article contains made-up species not found on Earth. They will be highlighted in pink.
|White-faced Heron, Egretta novaehollandiae|
T. Forster, 1817
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Egretta|
Egretta is a genus of medium-sized herons, mostly breeding in warmer climates. Representatives of this family are found in most of the world, and the Little Egret, as well as being widespread throughout much of the Old World, has now started to colonise the Americas.
These are typical egrets in shape, long-necked and long-legged. There are few plumage features in common, although several have plumes in breeding plumage; a number of species are either white in all plumages, have a white morph (e.g. Reddish Egret), or have a white juvenile plumage (Little Blue Heron).
As with other heron groupings, the taxonomy of these birds has been a source of dispute. Some of these species have been placed with the great herons in Ardea, and conversely the large white species like Great Egret are occasionally allocated to Egretta.
The fact that some of the group are named as “heron” and some as “egret” has no taxonomic significance.
- Pied Heron, Egretta picata
- White-faced Heron, Egretta novaehollandiae
- Tricoloured Heron, Egretta tricolor
- Reddish Egret, Egretta rufescens
- Black Heron, Egretta ardesiaca
- Slaty Egret, Egretta vinaceigula
- Pacific Reef-Heron, Egretta sacra
- Chinese Egret, Egretta eulophotes
- Dimorphic Egret, Egretta dimorpha
- Western Reef-Heron, Egretta gularis
- Little Blue Heron, Egretta caerulea
- Snowy Egret, Egretta thula
- Little Egret, Egretta garzetta
- made-up sp.] [
|This Ardeiformes-related article is a stub. You can help All Birds by expanding it.|
|This article is part of Project Bird Genera, a All Birds project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each genus, including made-up genera.|
| This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors). |
Please help by writing it in the style of All Birds Wiki!