Temporal range: Late Cretaceous - Holocene, 75–0 Ma
|Hoatzin (Opisthocomus hoazin)|
Gruae is a clade of birds that contains the order Opisthocomiformes (hoatzin) and Gruimorphae (shorebirds and rails) identified in 2014 by genome analysis. Despite its unusual and primitive morphology, genetic studies have shown the hoatzin is not as primitive or as ancient as once thought, and that it could be very derived bird that reverted or retain some plesiomorphic traits.
- Inopinaves for an alternative hypothesis on the placement of the Hoatzin
- ^ http://www.jboyd.net/Taxo/List7.html
- ^ Jarvis, E.D. et al. (2014) Whole-genome analyses resolve early branches in the tree of life of modern birds. Science, 346(6215):1320-1331.
- ^ Fain, Matthew G. & Houde, Peter (2004). "Parallel radiations in the primary clades of birds" (PDF). Evolution. 58 (11): 2558–2573. PMID 15612298. doi:10.1554/04-235.
- ^ Hackett, S.J. et al. (2008) A Phylogenomic Study of Birds Reveals Their Evolutionary History. Science, 320(5884):1763–1768.
|This article is part of Project Bird Taxonomy, a All Birds project that aims to write comprehensive articles on every order, family and other taxonomic rank related to birds.|
|This bird-related article is a stub. You can help All Birds by expanding it.|