|File:Black-crested Warbler (Basileuterus nigrocristatus).png|
|Clade:||Blackbird and warbler group|
Many, see text
Basileuterus is a genus of New World warblers, best represented in Central and South America. This is one of only two warbler genera that are well represented in the latter continent. It is likely that the ancestors of this genus colonised South America from the family’s heartland in northern Central America even before the two continents were linked, and subsequent speciation provided most of the resident warbler species of that region.
These are mainly robust warblers with a stout bill. The majority of species have olive or grey upperparts and yellow underparts. The head is often strikingly marked with a long broad supercilium, a coloured crown or crown stripes, and often other striking head markings.
Many species are not well-studied, but those for which the breeding habits are known all build a domed nest on a bank or on the ground, so this is presumably typical of the genus as a whole.
Formerly, the two members of the genus Phaeothlypis were sometimes included in Basileuterus.
- Grey-and-gold Warbler, Basileuterus fraseri
- Two-banded Warbler, Basileuterus bivittatus
- Golden-bellied Warbler, Basileuterus chrysogaster
- Pale-legged Warbler, Basileuterus signatus
- Citrine Warbler, Basileuterus luteoviridis
- Black-crested Warbler, Basileuterus nigrocristatus
- Grey-headed Warbler, Basileuterus griseiceps
- Santa Marta Warbler, Basileuterus basilicus
- Grey-throated Warbler, Basileuterus cinereicollis
- White-lored Warbler, Basileuterus conspicillatus
- Russet-crowned Warbler, Basileuterus coronatus
- Golden-crowned Warbler, Basileuterus culicivorus
- Three-banded Warbler, Basileuterus trifasciatus
- White-bellied Warbler, Basileuterus hypoleucus
- Rufous-capped Warbler, Basileuterus rufifrons
- Golden-browed Warbler, Basileuterus belli
- Black-cheeked Warbler, Basileuterus melanogenys
- Pirre Warbler, Basileuterus ignotus
- Three-striped Warbler, Basileuterus tristriatus
- White-rimmed Warbler, Basileuterus leucoblepharus
- White-striped Warbler, Basileuterus leucophrys
- Flavescent Warbler, Basileuterus flaveolus
- Curson, Quinn and Beadle,New World Warblers ISBN 0-7136-3932-6
- Stiles and Skutch, A guide to the birds of Costa Rica ISBN 0-8014-9600-4
- Basileuterus videos, photos and sounds on the Internet Bird Collection
|This article is part of Project Bird Genera, a All Birds project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each genus, including made-up genera.|
| This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors). |
Please help by writing it in the style of All Birds Wiki!